Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Unromantic Marriage

When I first heard about the story of my grandparents’ marriage, I was shocked because it was totally different today. My grandfather was a serious and honest person but sometimes he was too short-tempered and strict to get married. In those days, people usually got married at around 20 years old. He was already twenty-seven or twenty-eight years old. All his relatives and neighbors worried about his marriage. Though they had tried to have some arranged introductions with young women, it had never succeeded. I heard this story from my grandmother and she did not know the detail. My grandmother was also too old as a woman in those days. She had been too busy to take care of her family. She is good-tempered and old enough to accept his stubbornness. Their parents arranged the marriage without letting them know each other. They met with each other at their small marriage celebration for the first time. My grandfather often bothered his wife after marriage. Despite of that, they built their good family and raised three children, my father and my aunts. My grandmother told me that even if he was mean, she believed him because she knew he was basically kind and honest and the last person who does something wrong.

2 comments:

  1. According to the author, it was shown that people who are different and put together by strange cirumstances can still learn to deal with their flaws and live together. I didn't want to say the name because we are all suppose to have nicknames.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The same thing also occurred in my country. I can understand.

    ReplyDelete