Friday, October 2, 2009

My Grandfathers Contract with Shell

My grandfather was one of the most respected men in my home town which was known as Agbede. He was meant to succeed his father in being the king of my home town but passed it down to another family. He died at the age of eighty two as a result of old age. He had about twelve wives and over forty children. He also had a lot of properties in the village that could be shared amongst all his children and they would be satisfied.
My dad told me about the story of his contract with Shell petroleum development companies, which is one of the biggest oil companies in the world. He said my grandfather was the first ever contractor with shell in Nigeria. when shell came to Nigeria they discovered that Nigeria had a lot of petroleum and they wanted to com and invests in this petroleum. My grandfather was the first person to be appointed as one of the contractors for the construction of their oil plants. This construction site was a couple of miles away from my hometown. My grandfather decided to go with one of his wives which was pregnant. After several months on the construction site his wife was ready to give birth. She successfully gave birth to the child which was a boy but feel sick and died after a couple of months. My grandfather saw this kid as a very beautiful child. This upset my grandfather so much that he decided to drop the contract and carried the baby’ cops all the way from the construction site like just the way he was when he died to my home town. They spent about three days on the way back to my hometown. He said he had to show his people how beautiful his baby that just died was. That was has he lost the contract and his contact with shell.

No comments:

Post a Comment